Please note that all training sessions are currently suspended until further notice.
Please also see ‘Pool Rules Covid-19‘ page for specific details of training at the swimming pools we are currently using
The ‘New Normal’
It should come as no surprise that returning to training is going to be a new experience for all of us. While some of the procedures may sound onerous, our hope is that in reality they will be fairly straightforward to follow and if we all do our bit, swimming should still be the same sport we all know and enjoy.
Attached to this email you will see several documents. The most important is the Swim England Return to Training Declaration (se-return-to-training.docx) which all members must complete and email back to me before attending any EAST sessions. Two of the other documents are from Swim England and you may have already seen them, containing general information on swimming pool and club procedures. To highlight a few of the new rules that will be in place at all venues:
- Swimmers will need to arrive with their swimwear on, “beach style”, and leave the same way (or remove swimwear on poolside under clothing).
- Members should shower at home before and after sessions.
- Where permitted by the venue, members must bring and use their own accessories (kick boards, pull buoys etc.). Equipment may not be shared with other swimmers.
- No changing lanes once in the pool.
- Maintain distance from other swimmers while on poolside and within the pool when not actively swimming.
The remaining three attachments are specifically for the Hewett Academy sessions, so if you never attend this location you may skip over them, but if not they contain essential information on the procedures that will be in place for all future sessions (until further notice anyway).
In following these guidelines, please be mindful that some members are more vulnerable than others and therefore even if you have a fairly relaxed attitude towards catching Covid-19, we need all members to adhere to the rules so that everyone feels comfortable attending our sessions. At all sessions, the coaches will be aware of the guidelines and will be enforcing them to keep everyone safe.
Part of the ‘new normal’ is the requirement for all members to sign up for sessions in advance using our new online booking facility. Due to limitations on lane capacity, it is not practical to allow swimmers to just turn up to sessions as we would have to turn away anyone who we could not accommodate. You can register and access the booking system here: https://book.swallowtails.co.uk/
A few members have trialled it already and reported that it is fairly straightforward to use, but here are some basic instructions you can follow:
- Visit https://book.swallowtails.co.uk/ and click the Register link at the top of the screen.
- Enter your email address, full name and a password into the boxes, and check the box to indicate you have read and understood all the information in the attached documents.
- You should receive a confirmation email within a few minutes, click the link in the email to activate your account.
- If you don’t receive an email (remember to check your Junk Email folder), you can bypass this step by going to https://book.swallowtails.co.uk/Identity/Account/ResendEmailConfirmation, entering your email address and checking the ‘Skip email confirmation’ box. This may mean you do not receive any automated emails (booking confirmation and cancellations), but it will allow you to get on and use the system.
- After activating your account, click the ‘Login’ link and enter your email address and password.
To make a booking:
- From the home screen, click the large blue “View / Book Sessions” button.
- A list of upcoming sessions for the next fortnight will be shown, along with how many spaces are still available. To book a session, click the green “View/Book” button.
- You will be presented with a list of lane options. Choose the most appropriate lane for your ability level and click the green “Book Now” button.
- After checking the information is correct, click “Confirm Booking” to make the reservation.
- You should receive an email confirmation of the booking.
To view/cancel existing bookings:
- From any screen, click the “Your Bookings” link at the top of the page.
- A list of your upcoming bookings will be shown (if any).
- To cancel a booking, click the red “Cancel Booking” button
- You will see a confirmation page. If you still want to cancel, click the red “Confirm Cancellation” button.
- You should receive an email confirmation of the cancellation.
To ensure everyone has a fair opportunity to access sessions during this initial phase of re-opening, the following restrictions are currently in place:
- You may only reserve up to two sessions per calendar week (Monday – Sunday).
- Bookings must be cancelled at least two hours prior to the session start time, or you will lose the ability to cancel and it will still be counted towards your weekly quota.
However, to enable swimmers to access late availability, the session limit will not apply to bookings made within two hours of the session start time. So, if there are still spaces on a session within the two hours before it starts, you may book and attend it.
As this booking system is very new, there may be teething issues and problems we need to address. If you have any issues or feedback, please email them to me via email@example.com. I know some members may not be keen to use an online facility, but it was agreed by the committee that it was the most practical way of ensuring our sessions are attended within the guidelines set by Swim England and the government.
New Wednesday Session
We have managed to secure some additional outdoor pool time at Beccles Lido (https://g.page/beccleslido?share) on Wednesday evenings, 7 – 8pm. These sessions will be running from this coming Wednesday (22nd July) so it will be our first official post-lockdown EAST session. You can sign up for this session now via the online booking system. These sessions should be running weekly for the next 8 weeks, until the outdoor pool closes for the season.
The setup at Beccles Lido will be as follows: 3 double-width lanes with maximum 8 swimmers, plus one slightly smaller lane with maximum 6 swimmers. Be aware that the pool is 30 metres long, so slightly bigger than a typical short-course pool.
Hewett Academy Sessions
Training will resume at the Hewett Academy pool from Sunday 26th July. The morning session, 8 – 10am, will be covered by Sam Watts initially, but Louise Bush will be taking over as coach in August as Pat has now stepped down from the position. The Sunday evening 5 – 7pm session should also be going ahead as normal, with Tina resuming her coaching role. Both of these sessions are also now available to book online.
If you plan to attend these sessions, please remember to read the attached Hewett guidance documents and be ready to follow the instructions as indicated.
Riverside and UEA Sessions
We are still waiting to confirm when training will resume at these locations and will be in contact again with more information when it becomes available.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact myself or any of the other committee members who will be happy to discuss them with you.
EAST Membership Secretary